How the Module Works:
This module provides a systematic approach to completing a quality improvement initiative in the primary care practice setting.
A brief overview of each phase required to complete the module is listed below. You can review details on how the module works, including a sample PDF of each module stage so you can see exactly what you will be asked to complete before you even get started.Get Started!
Pre Assessment Phase
- Practice Assessment: In this section, you will be asked to answer questions that provide insight provide insight into your practice’s care delivery, decision support, and clinical information systems.
- Practice Data: The next step is to take a snapshot of your practice’s diabetic population. You will be asked to answer two questions by pulling data from your record system.
- Staff Survey: You will be asked to survey your non-physician staff about their role in the practice and the delivery of care.
- Patient Data Collection: You will select ten patient charts to use for data collection. You will then learn how to enter pre-assessment patient data by answering a series of questions designed to capture information specific to the evidence-based performance measures.
- Interpretation of Results: Once you have completed entering the required data, results for each measure (i.e., baseline data) will be displayed. This information will guide you in selecting the pathway you’d like to follow and choosing the intervention(s) that best helps you improve care processes in your practice.
- Selection of a Pathway and Practice Interventions: In this section, you will use what you have learned from your baseline data to select pathways to focus on. You will be asked to select one intervention from the Screening for Prediabetes pathway and one intervention from the Management of Diabetes pathways. There are multiple interventions to choose from within each pathway. You will select a minimum of one intervention from each section to implement in your practice.
- Implementation of your Intervention: You will use your intervention for a period of at least three and no more than 12 months , after which you will come back to this module and enter post-assessment data.
Post-Assessment Phase (Re-measurement)
- Note: this phase can only be completed after an implementation period of at least three and no more than 12 months.
- Practice Assessment: This step will include the same series of questions from the pre-assessment phase, designed to provide insight into your practice’s delivery, decision support, and clinical information systems.
- Practice Data: In this step you will take a snapshot of your practice's diabetic population after your change period. You will be asked to answer two quesitons by pulling data from your record system.
- Staff Survey: You will again be asked to survey your non-physician staff about their role in the practice and the delivery of care AFTER an intervention was put into place.
- Patient Data Collection: You will use the same criteria you used at the beginning of the module to select ten patient charts and answer a series of questions designed to capture information specific to the evidence-based performance measures.
- Interpretation of Results and Evaluation of the Program: You will be given pre-and post-assessment measurement results. These results will compare your practice to your peers. You will also complete an evaluation of the overall program and module experience.